Doug Wallace served for 14 years as an appellate judge on Florida’s Second District Court of Appeal before joining the firm in 2017. During his time on the bench, Doug was a frequent lecturer on a variety of topics related to appellate practice.
Doug grew up in Bradenton, Florida. He left Florida to attend college at Princeton University and law school at Yale Law School. He returned to Bradenton soon after that, where he worked as solo practitioner handling appellate, bankruptcy, civil litigation, and probate matters. Doug also worked part-time in the appellate divisions of the Twelfth and Tenth Judicial Circuit Public Defender’s Offices, and he frequently served as a civil circuit mediator. Since coming back to private practice, Doug has notched several high-profile appellate wins at Brannock Humphries & Berman.
Doug, a cinephile, spends his free time watching movies. He is especially fond of film noir titles. Doug also reads widely, and he collects old postcards of Manatee and Sarasota Counties.
- Princeton University, B.A., with high honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Yale Law School, J.D.
Certifications and Bar Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- All Florida Courts
Honors and Distinctions
- Appellate Practice Section of The Florida Bar
- Florida Supreme Court Historical Society
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Manatee County Bar Association
- Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section of The Florida Bar
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Second District Court of Appeal Historical Society
- Twelfth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (Former Committee Member)
- “En Banc Proceedings in Florida’s District Courts of Appeal,” The Florida Bar Appellate Practice Section Monthly Webinar CLE (July 17, 2018)
- “Notice of a DCA’s Decision to Proceed En Banc,” 30 Lawyer (Hillsborough County Bar Association) 18, March/April 2020
- “What Makes a Case or an Issue One of Exceptional Importance?” 89 Florida Bar Journal 28, May 2015
- “The Impact of a Bankruptcy Filing on a Pending Appellate Proceeding,” 87 Florida Bar Journal 37, March 2013
- “The Recovery of Attorney’s Fees and Costs for the Unsuccessful Offer of a Will for Probate,” 76 Florida Bar Journal 36, January 2002
- “Child Custody Contests Between Parents and Third Persons: An Uncertain Standard,” 58 Florida Bar Journal 474, July/August 1984
- “Protecting the Record on Appeal in a Criminal Case,” 53 Florida Bar Journal 617, November 1979
- “Occupational Licensing and Certification: Remedies for Denial,” 14 William and Mary Law Review 46, 1974